Monday, March 12, 2007

Oregon Truffles - Fungus Not Chocolate

Basically winter sucks. However there is at least one good thing that winter brings...TRUFFLES!!!

Almost every year I order fresh truffles from Oregon. Sometimes I order black and white truffles. This year I ordered white only. I sliced them onto steamed green and white asparagus, mixed them with goat cheese and basil, baked them in red potatoes, infused them into honey, butter and olive oil, ate them with pasta and bruschetta.

My three favorite ways of preparing truffles are truffle pasta, truffle risotto, and truffled eggs. Without a doubt truffled eggs is the preparation the brings out the most pure truffle goodness. I believe the easier the recipe (and fresher ingredients) the better the taste...

Use the freshest eggs possible. These are from a friend's hens:


Fresh Oregon white truffles, clean off the dirt and grit:



Per person: Whisk three eggs and add a bit of sea salt (or kosher salt, good salt in other words). Dice some truffles for stirring into the eggs and slice some for the top. Melt approximately 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in pan and when it starts to sizzle add the eggs:


Stir the eggs gently over low heat until they are almost set. Add the diced truffles and add 1 tablespoon of creme fraiche or cream just prior to removing from the fire.

Serve on a warmed plate with toast or crostini:


Before the first bite place a napkin over your head so that you may experience the full aroma of the truffled eggs:



Bon Appetit!!


No comments:

Post a Comment