Sunday, October 01, 2006

Up All Night - Race to The Farallons

Sunday 5:oo pm

Have you noticed that when you stay up all night it really messes with your internal systems? Today I am suffering the "hangover" of having stayed up all night...

Yesterday I raced on a friend's sailboat (mentioned on a
previous post) from San Francisco, out the Golden Gate and around the Farallon Islands, approximately 25 miles offshore, then back again to San Francisco.


The Farallons are famous for whale watching, fishing and great white shark research.

I have done this race many times on my boat and on friends' boats. Usually we can finish this race between 7:00 pm and midnight, no matter how slow the boat. Yesterday's race was the longest Farallons race ever. We started at 10:00 a.m. yesterday and finished at 7:45 a.m. this morning.

Why so long? Because there was no frigging wind on the ocean! The race was long and grueling and even though I took a break from midnight to 02:30 I couldn't sleep because sailboats are very noisy.

So now I am delirious and lazy. I had a million things to do today but so far all I have been able to to is take a 2 hour nap, catch up on watching two telenovelas, blog about said telenovelas and feel guilty for not getting even one of my myriad of chores done. It's 5:40 pm and I haven't even taken a shower yet. Gross.


Sometimes I wonder why I do these ocean races...

Cons: This race was too long, we rounded the islands at night so I didn't get to see them, because the winds were light we were downwind of the island for hours and the air reeked of bird and seal poo, one of my crew-mates talks non-stop, Tom (my boyfriend and not the non-stop talker) had just read "The Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey and kept telling us about the Farallon flies that live in the anus of seals, it was overcast and chilly all day except for about 30 minutes when we had some sun.


(Tom enjoying the sun with the islands in the background.)

Pros: I was on the ocean, the seas were flat instead of lumpy so nobody hurled, it was overcast and chilly so no anus-dwelling flies landed on us, I like my crew-mates even the one who won't shut the fuck up, even though the race was frustratingly slow we laughed all night long, we saw lots of dolphins and a humpback whale, it's always an adventure to sail out to the Farallons, for breakfast I had a chocolate muffin and a mug of rum.


Here's a what Arch Rock at The Farallons looks like when you get to sail around it during the day, sigh.

7:00 pm update. Took out the trash and recycling, watched the moon rise. Hoorah, day not a total waste. Can now go to bed.

, ,

No comments:

Post a Comment