Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's a power surge, not a hot flash

I sail with three guys. They're cool , all married and they try hard to understand women. Sometimes we're on the boat for hours. We mostly talk about racing, how to go faster, how to beat other boats, what we're going to do next, etc. But sometimes we talk about other stuff too.

Last Saturday one of the guys said his wife is going through menopause. I told him, "Oh yeah, I did that years ago. The hot flashes were annoying but other than that it was kind of like adolescence."


He asked me if I'd had mood swings, if I got bitchy, that sort of thing. I said "I don't think I was any bitchier than usual," (of course I'm kind of a witch anyway), "the only difference is before menopause I felt guilty when I was a crank, during menopause I felt just fine about it. In fact it felt fucking GREAT! It still does."

They were silent for about 30 minutes after that. I wonder what they were thinking? I didn't ask, I just enjoyed the quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment