Monday, June 05, 2006

EBCB

I am not a breakfast person. My breakfast used to be a small pot of espresso. I gave up coffee so now it's a cup of tea.

But the odd thing is, I really LIKE breakfasts. Or rather I like the food that is breakfast. I just don't care to eat a big meal first thing in the morning. Nevertheless, for some time now I have been completely enamored with a blog of cafe reviews called
eggsbaconchipsandbeans. It is written by a very clever chap, Russell Davies, who waxes eloquent on his passion, the full english fry up.


"Those chips are just huge and delicious. And that egg is like a splendid yellow volcano. There's a bean element making a tiny bid for freedom. The bacon is a solid force of conservatism and traditional values."


He turns a plate of eggs, bacon, chips and beans into pure poetry, bringing back pleasant memories of my youth traveling through England. The first time I was ever served an ebcb I was positively horrified at a breakfast that included beans and french fries.

Not wishing to be the Ugly American and insult the hostess at our B&B I tucked in. First the bacon, usually a safe bet, was outstanding; not skinny and fatty as I was used to, but thick, flavorful, meaty and perfectly salty. Then the egg, fresh with an orange, not yellow, yolk...sublime. Surprisingly the chips were the perfect crunchy foil for dunking into this well of perfection. Then the beans...absolutely delightful with the bacon as you might guess, tasty with the chips (what isn't I ask you), and not bad at all with the egg, very good in fact. It was a revelation of sorts.

It's probably a good thing that an ebcb cannot be found in any restaurant nearby as I would probably get fat from the frequent pilgrimages.

Mr. Davies also reviews locations that are a good place for a cup of tea and a think.

No comments:

Post a Comment