Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Snickering at Icky Snickers Salad

I was talking to a friend of mine from the upper midwest who went home to visit her mom last weekend. We got on the topic of bizarre foods that have somehow turned into family traditions. I mentioned the Pink Strawberry Jello Angel Food monstrosity that my cousins make every Easter.


Apparently in her family they serve Snickers Salad every Mother's Day. I consider myself to be fairly well versed on the subject of regrettable food, especially from the midwest where I have deep roots, but I had never heard of Snickers Salad.


She says there is hot regional debate on the best recipes, all of which include the basics of Snickers bars, Granny Smith apples, and Cool Whip. The non-purists, those who wish to gild the lily so to speak, will add such ingredients as nuts, cream cheese, sour cream, marshmallows, and vanilla pudding to name a few.


Her family are purists and here is their recipe:

SNICKERS SALAD
5-6 apples, cored and cubed
1 lg. container Cool Whip
3-4 SNICKERS® candy bars, cut into small pieces
Mix all of the above ingredients and refrigerate.
Is it a salad? It looks kind of like potato salad.


I can only imagine what my California friends would say if I brought this so-called "salad" to a pot-luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment