Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A mechanic wakes up

Last week I took my car in to get smog checked. The mechanic that was helping me looked half-asleep as he trudged around my car, hooking it up to his machine, just another car in his boring routine. For some reason he needed to turn my car on, I can't remember why now, and I gave him permission to do it.


I had been listening to the BBC World News on NPR, so when he turned the key the following blared over the radio:


"The women of Nachu, Kenya report that they are being tormented and sexually harassed by a band of monkeys.



In addition to stealing their crops, the monkeys also make sexually explicit gestures at the women.


'The monkeys grab their breasts, and gesture at us while pointing at their private parts," claims villager Lucy Njeri..."



Horrified and embarrassed I stared at the mechanic. Had he heard? He must have heard, it was blaringly loud! He slowly raised his head, he tried to keep a straight face, but as soon as our eyes met we both burst out laughing.



"It's NPR, it's educational..." I offered hopefully.

"Is that what they call it these days?" he responded.

He perked up considerably. He smiled. I reached over and turned the radio off.

"Stay away from the monkeys" he advised as I got into my car to leave.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:10 PM

    Welcome to my world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Ha! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:46 AM

    I am not a monkey!

    ReplyDelete