Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Annoying Co-worker (or I'd like to lose my Temper)

Oh the petty annoyances that come with getting used to a new job and new people...

I work with an engineer I will call Katherine Temper. This alias is a nickname my boss and I conferred upon her - it is close to her real name and she does have a temper. At the risk of sounding racist I will say is a typical Eastern European, very blunt, not subtle, and she holds onto her ideas like terrier with a smelly sock. But the worst thing about her is she seems to think I should solve all the problems that fall into the category of "other".

Yesterday she drove me crazy. As soon as I arrived to work she approached me with her first complaint of the day... "Something smells bad in the hallway." I answered, "Well Katherine, do you have any idea what it is?" "I think it comes from Bindu's office." I asked, "Katherine did you look in Bindu's office?" "No, Bindu's not there." I was starting to get annoyed, "Katherine there are no doors on the offices, did you look inside?" "No, Bindu's not there but I think the smell comes from her wastebasket." Clearly this pest wasn't going away so I grabbed her arm, walked to Bindu's office, pulled out the wastebasket, we walked to the lunchroom, emptied it, returned to Bindu's office, where I said, "Katherine, do you think the problem is solved?" "Yes thank you very much," she answered.

An hour later she was back..."The light is out in the office supplies closet." "Katherine, are you telling me we are out of bulbs and need to order more?" "No," she answered solemnly, "the spares are in the closet." "Katherine, in the time it took you to tell me about this you could have changed the bulb yourself. You are an engineer." "Well I thought you might like to know," she answered, "You're on the safety committee and it could be a hazard." I sighed, went to the closet and changed the bulb.

After lunch she approached me again, this time she trembled slightly as if agitated. "I just read a magazine article that says all of America's recycling is being shipped to the poorest regions of Africa and the toxic waste is slowly killing impoverished children." "Yes Katherine," I replied, "I heard something about that. I don't think it's ALL recycling, but rather much of the electronics recycling. It is a very big problem I agree." She stood there staring at me, waiting for me to get onto her careening train of thought..."How can you be certain that our company's recycling isn't going to Africa?" "Katherine, Tri-Ced does all its recycling on-site, but if you wish to research it further, as an exempt employee you are free to take the afternoon off with full pay." This statement was followed by a stare-off between the two of us. She finally turned around and stalked to her office.

I thought I was an underpaid Human Resources professional, but clearly I am an overpaid babysitter.

This morning just after I arrived to work (late due to traffic) Katherine approached me. We made eye contact and there was no escaping her..."Did you see that terrible traffic jam on the way to work? I was stuck in it." "Good lord Katherine," I asked, exasperated, "what on earth could I have done to alleviate the traffic jam for you?" She looked surprised at my answer, "Do? What could you do? I was just worried that you were stuck in it too. Here, I made you a cup of tea."

Katherine is my new friend. Is it a blessing or a curse?

No comments:

Post a Comment