Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Monkey Dichos

In honor of Erik's birthday I offer some of my favorite Mexican words and dichos (proverbs or sayings) featuring monkeys...


Changito = Small monkey (Playful)


Aunque la mona se vista de seda, mona se queda = Even though the monkey is dressed in silk it's still a monkey (You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear)


Cada chango en su mecate y yo con mi mecatito = Each monkey on his string and I on mine (Each of us should be in our own place minding our own business)



Chango estreñido = Constipated monkey (Cranky, one unhappy camper)


Con dinero hasta la mona baila = With money, even the monkey dances (Money talks)



¿Tengo monos en la cara o que?" = Do I have monkeys on my face or what? (Do I look funny or something?)



¡ Toma chango tu banano! = Monkey, take your banana! (Meaning "if the fruit's available the monkey's going to grab it", AKA When the cat’s away the mouse will play)
Happy Birthday Erik!!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:40 AM

    "Un singe est toujours singe, même sous un habit de pourpre."
    A monkey, even dressed up in purple (even all dressed up), is always a monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:00 AM

    A banana a day keeps the monkey away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a visit by Le Singe Supreme...I am honored.

    ReplyDelete