Last night after the theatre four of us decided to visit downtown Palo Alto because we hadn't been there in a while and we wanted some refreshment of the liquid variety. It was very cold so we tossed around the idea of Irish Coffees or some similar warming libation. Palo Alto is absolutely filled with restaurants and bars so there are many places to choose from.
How about a pub scene, The Rose and Crown for example, we thought? So we strolled in and 1) the bar wench was washing down the bar and 2) the place was dead and it was only 9:30, not good signs. I asked if they served Irish Coffee or some warm drink. She glared at me, guffawed and said "Irish Coffee? We only serve beer and wine here." Some inconsequential blokes in the corner also snickered "Irish Coffee??" but I ignored them. Yeah it's a British pub but it's faux and this was Palo Alto for pity's sake.
Always cheerful I said, "OK then, we'll catch you next time when we're in the mood for beer." To which she snarked, "You know you're not going to find any place that serves coffee this time of night." Double take, nay, triple take, and I'm thinking "Yo bitch, this is Palo Alto, it's only 9:30 and you're probably the ONLY establishment closing down." But the only thing more stupid than her statement would have been to respond to said statement, so I smiled and we left.
The only question I have is, was she trying to get us to leave by being such a snot or was she trying to get us to stay by lying to us that nobody would have coffee? It's still a mystery.
About 30 seconds later we strolled into Gordon Biersch and asked if they had Irish Coffees to which the host replied "Well if we don't have them I'm sure we can get them made for you." Ahhhh, now that's service.
We were so happy with our situation that we ordered three Irish Coffees, one pint of ale, one tea, one order of crabcakes and two pumpkin cheesecakes. Stick that up your flue you snotty bar wench!
customer service, gordon biersch, palo alto,
Monday, December 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Totally faux: no British pub (in Britain, I mean) would ever even think of closing at 9.30, and they would all serve you Irish coffee.
ReplyDelete