I just heard on the radio that Don Ho passed away four days ago on April 14 2007. Why wasn't this bigger news? How insulting!I read that when asked about his distinctive "hushed" crooning style, Don claimed that when he started his first band he was such a bad singer he sang softly so as not to drive away the customers.
In the early sixties he got a gig at Duke's in Waikiki. It was there that he developed his trademark of performing with a drink and cigarette in hand. It wasn't his singing, but rather his witty and amusing repartee with the guests that earned him the title 'Mr. Waikiki.'
Daughter Hoku Ho carries on the family tradition of performing:
Hmm...I wonder if the whole brouhaha with that jerk Don Imus had anything to do with keeping the death of Don Ho out of the news?

No comments:
Post a Comment